Saturday, December 6, 2008

What I Really Want for Christmas Is . . .

Hi, Everyone!
Each year, Ken and I ask his Mom, "What do you want for Christmas?" Every year she smiles sweetly and says, "What I'd really like is . . . a new garden hose" or "a good flashlight" or "a new rug for the back door." Dutiful son that he is, he heads off to the home improvement store and returns with the requested item. "But honey," I say, "This is your Mother, the woman who gave you life! You can't give her a garden hose for Christmas!" "But sweetie," he says, looking bewildered, "it's what she wants."
"Well!" I huff. "That's not a real Christmas present!" And off I go to the mall, where I spend hours shopping for the perfect Christmas present for my sweet mother-in-law. Like, a pretty piece of jewelry to go with the dozens of other pieces she already owns. Or, a beautiful crystal bowl to cram into her too-crowded china cabinet. Or a darling pantsuit identical to the one (unbeknownst to me) that my sister-in-law is also buying for her!
Time has passed, and this morning as I was cleaning the kitchen, I thought, "The kids have been asking me what I want for Christmas, and I don't know what to tell them, because I don't need anything. I have a closet full of clothes, drawers and drawers of table linens, and a craft room stuffed with supplies." Then it dawned on me! I know what I want for Christmas! It's something I really want, and something I really need! It's a . . . new sponge for my mop! Yes, I have become my mother-in-law!
And speaking of inspiration, the card I'm posting today was inspired by a swap I received from my good friend and Swappers' Anonymous Sister Paula (scrapshappen). You can see her card here. The plaid paper on mine isn't Stampin' Up - it's some I had in my stash, and I'm trying to use up my "stuff"! (so I can buy new "stuff"!) I love this layout, and I'm sure I'll use it many times. Thanks Paula thanks for the inspiraton!
I hope you all have a great week! Enjoy your Christmas preparations! I hope you can take time to ponder the beauty of life and the wonder of the season! Till next time, God bless!

2 comments:

Amy said...

That is a fabulous story. LOL My mom always used to say, "Just a nice white handkerchief and a letter from you!" Sheesh, Mom, can't I just buy you something??? :-)

Paula said...

Great story Pamela. I've been struggling with the "what I want for Christmas" problem too. And I am so glad you liked my card enough to case it. What an honor. Thanks!